Monday, November 5, 2012

Rearranged my grandpas room

 So I wont lie and say that I take care of my grandpas room.  In fact......(looks down) I always kinda used grandpas room as a storage room.  Meaning all the stuff I wanted to keep in the house so it wont break, but didn't want in my room, I would put in his room.  He has porcelain dolls and some of my baby stuff in his room.  Its never affected him and he says he didn't care, but it has been eating at me, that its not fair that my grandpa has a room full of my stuff.  He never stays in his room, only to sleep or to play on his ancient computer, but still......he deserves his own space and room without my crap in it.

My grandpas closet shelf fell a week ago and when my cousin came down to visit for his birthday, her and her boyfriend decided to buy new shelving and everything as his birthday gift.  They had started it, but it got late and couldn't finish and we still needed to go back and get some more stuff and exchange some things, so I just told them I would finish.  I started working on it last Friday and got it all done.  After I organized his new, improved closet, I knew it was time to just start rearranging, throwing away stuff and taking stuff out to the garage that don't need to be in there.  It took about 7 hours total and poor grandpa tried to help as much as he could.  We did get it done and ultimately I would of wanted to paint and do all that, but we don't have the funds or I have the time and energy right now.  I think his room turned out good and in fact I love to just go in there and chill with him now.  Its more clean, roomy and more like his own room.  My grandpa isn't a fancy kind of man and none of his furniture matches, he really could care less.  As long as he has a comfy recliner, snacks and a TV in the living room, he is happy.  I'm also pretty sure that most of his furniture and things in his room are ancient too. lol 

So hes happy and content and so am I.  I think the next room I need to do is the nursery room, because after Mark left, it kinda became a junk room.  Its not too bad, but in case I have company over, I need to have a room ready for them to sleep in.

I used part of his closet as a storage area for his hats, pants, ties and suspenders.



I moved his huge shelf over next to his closet so he can grab all his things to get ready close to each other.

We got rid of alot of his clothes he dont wear or that were worn out.

I hung up old pictures of his kiddos, grandkids and family.  He had just a bunch of picture frames stored in his room.  I thought he had more thats why its so off, but at this point, my grandpa was exhausted and so was I, so its going to have to stay in the meantime.


The grandkids from a LONG time ago.  I found this and decided it went perfect above his bed :)  I remember that day too when we took this picture.  It was in a mall.
I cant tell you the last time I "cleaned" my grandpas room.  I kid you not, I'm not sure if its been like this since before my mom died 11 years ago.  Its just not a room no one really goes into and so I never put my focus in it.  So excuse the mess.......no my whole house isn't like this, because I am a neat freak!!!  Also his room looks cluttered because everything in his closet is pulled out into his room.  One thing I always made sure of with my grandpa is that he had a clear path, so he wont trip and fall.




1 comment:

  1. oh Rachel, what a difference you had made within your Grandpa's room, very nice and realize you have touched his heart so ....your amazing and bless you ....

    ReplyDelete